Sunday, November 20, 2011

Monday Finishes!

I have two finishes to share today, and neither falls into the quilt category. We're talking pillows here! First off, the third (out of three!) throw cushion for our bed is finished. This one is a non-HST design, but it's fun and it still fits with the others. The ring of stars design came from this tutorial, and again, for the construction of the pillow cover itself I used this tutorial from Sew Mama Sew, which is very simple but yields great results. And the final "credit is due" for this project goes to Krista of Poppyprint for her concentric circles quilting tutorial.


The second finish is a seat cushion for my sewing chair. This was take two on the project, and while it's done and it turned out fairly well unless you look closely, it was a tricky project to complete and I'm not sure if I would do it again. I still feel like I may do a bit of tweaking, like maybe some edge stitching around the top and bottom of the pillow (though I don't think it would be called edge stitching, not sure how else to describe it, basically creating a very mini faux piped edge by pinching the edge of the gusset & top and stitching it together? Anyone know what I mean? :). But it's bright and fun and I'm happy to have a cushy something to sit on!


Incidentally, the chair itself was also a little project of mine. I looked and looked for a solid wood chair to refinish and use for a sewing chair, and finally found this one at our local recycling/junk store for a few dollars. It used to look like this.....a photo clearly taken on a much warmer day than today!

Happy Monday everyone!

Linking up with the following:
{Sew} Modern Monday @ Canoe Ridge Creations

Sew Darn Crafty @ Sew Many Ways
Manic Monday @ Sew Happy Geek
Made With Love @ Sew Chatty
Made by You Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story

25 comments:

Poppyprint said...

Wow, your pillows both look amazing! The concentric circles are perfect for the star pillow - I'm so glad to have been some help and thank you for the link!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Love both these, particularly the stars pillow which is jut gorgeous!

Toni said...

Awesome pillow, Heather! I love that circle of stars block. And your chair cushion looks great! Excellent work on it and the chair!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Your pillow is perfect! fabulous quilting. The cushion is bright and happy and I love the paint job you did on it. Looks so fresh and happy!

Unknown said...

Love the bright and happy chair cushion - amazing what a little paint and fabric can do!

Annabella said...

Oh I love that ring of stars - thanks for the link! What a great finish.

Carla said...

Love the pillows! Even though it gave you some trouble, your chair cushion came out great.

Debbie said...

oh your pillow is great - LOVE the quilting you did! Fantastic! I don't know much about cushions, but I 'get' what you mean about the edging. Do you think it would add to the pillows strength?? It looks great as is though.

Unknown said...

The pillow turned out so nice, thanks for sharing!

Heidi Grohs said...

Adore the pillows and love how thick that cushion is! I forgot what that edging name is called, but have done it in the past...so easy!! Love that fabric!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

love that pillow

Catherine said...

wow, love these, especially the one with stars

Rebecca said...

Love that pillow, beautiful job on the quilting!

Shocking Hocking said...

love the stars cushion - gorgeous and lovely finish

Kirsten said...

The pillow looks beautiful Heather!!

Live a Colorful Life said...

The pillow is beautiful! Cute chair, too.

Erin said...

LOVE that pillow! Great job!

maria said...

Hi, I popped over from From Fabric Tuesday. Great pillows. I love the quilting on the star pillow, I'll have to go have a look at the tutorial you used.

QuiltNut Creations said...

love it love it love it! did I mention that I love your pillow?

Heather said...

Beautiful! Love the pillows and the chair makeover is amazing! :o)

Dayna said...

These are both great! I may have to try the pillow.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

love that wonky star pillow

Jenelle said...

It's great to see the pillow finished! Beautiful quilting too. :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This pillow is fantastic! LOVE it!

kinter said...

I just saw that star circle pattern and thought I should make it. Now I see it on your site!! Great minds think alike!
Thanks for linking @ This Week!