Monday, January 16, 2012

Chrysalis top complete

I worked hard on the weekend to get the Chrysalis quilt top finished, and didn't quite make it. But today I was able to sew the last 2 rows together, then move onto adding borders on each side! It ended up being approximately 50" x 62", taking into account the 3" borders that I added. I am so happy with how this turned out. It will be perfect as a throw quilt for in our livingroom. I would be remiss if I didn't mention once again that my inspiration for this quilt came from Krista of Poppyprint, with her beautiful Full Circle Quilt.


Today has been a bit of a cold/cloudy/wintery day, but I just squeaked in the finish with enough time to take it outside for a few photos before things got too dark.


Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) I will not be able to move onto quilting this until I purchase a new machine. My Janome, the only machine I had with a walking foot, sold today! I am trying to be patient, waiting for a call from a local quilt shop to let me know when a shipment of machines arrives. The machine I'm looking at is a Janome 2030QDC (on the website it just say "DC", but on the machine in my quilt shop it says "QDC". Huh???). I have yet to actually sew on it, so I'm not sold yet but that is my #1 option at the moment, in my price range. I'll be sure to update as soon as anything happens!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

Fresh Poppy Design

20 comments:

Kirsten said...

So lovely Heather!! How are you going to quilt it - in circles like Krista's?

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I love it. How do you plan on quitling it?

Svetlana said...

Heather, it looks beautiful!

Katie B said...

I really love this quilt top! So lovely!

I think I tried the machine you mentioned at my local shop. It was pretty sweet!!

Pat Merkle said...

Beautiful quilt top!

Debbie said...

You sold your old machine before you got a new machine??? yikes! Sure hope you like the one you're considering....oh and of course, your quilt is awesome! Good goin'!!! It's really cool and modern & I like it alot!

Kleep said...

That quilt looks fantastic, you did such a wonderful job. Looking forward to seeing how it will turn out with the quilting when you get to do it!

Jennifer said...

I love this quilt - so pretty!

Shocking Hocking said...

i love this quilt more and more everytime i look at it - and i've written down the dimensions so i can make one too!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love that one Heather! Great color fabric choices, and neat pattern. We really need to come for a long overdue visit so I can see all these wonderful creations in their element!
~CJ

Marlene @ KISSed Quilts . com said...

Love your choice of color placement with these fabrics. I used some of them in a quilt, so am familiar with the line. Gives me an idea for some of the scraps maybe!!

felicity said...

Super cool quilt top!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! Your quilt is really beautiful and love the way you have arranged the colours! Great pattern! x Teje

Dee said...

A new machine to quilt a beautiful quilt on...what a lucky girl you are! The colors you've picked are so very lovely and vibrant! Congratulations!

Krista Schneider said...

Eek, it's lovely! Good luck on getting that new machine :D

CityHouseStudio said...

A lovely, lovely quilt, Heather!
I LOVE the placement of your colors -- WOW!
I'm in love with this!

Poppyprint said...

Oh my, thanks for the shout out. Your quilt top is so pretty - I love how you arranged the colours!

An add for a Bernina QE440 just went up on our guild site. It's a 2005 but hasn't been used for 3 years. Let me know if you want more info - it's in Vancouver.

Ruth said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the fabric arrangement!

Chelsea said...

Heather, that's gorgeous! I love the pop of orange. It's been so grey with all the rain lately and then the snow, that orange is just such a perfect antidote!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your chrysalis quilt is fab and I love those asterisk blocks :)