Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hexagon Pencil Case

This little project is the Pencil Case from "I Love Patchwork" by Rashida Coleman-Hale.  In the end, it turned out soooo very cute, but it was very fiddly and this was a huge learning experience for me.


I've worked with zippers a few times before, but the way this one was installed made the process so easy.  You create a 'zipper panel' as opposed to sewing the outer and lining pieces directly to the zipper, which is where I've struggled in the past.  So, zipper - check!  Applying heavy interfacing to all outer pieces - check!  Making adorable 1/2" hexagons with scrap solids - check!  



Sewing large end hexagons to outer pieces....hmmmmmm.  I really thought there was an error in the pattern because I could not figure out how this size hexagon was supposed to fit!  I even sent the designer an email.  In the meantime though, I figured it out - sort of.  I got the hang of it by the end, having to do it 4 times - twice on the outer and twice on the lining - but believe me it is NOT pretty on the inside!  Thankfully, that is the part that will never be seen.  :)


The lining was another struggle, and hand stitching it in place was not easy and there really is quite a bit of excess lining bagging in the bottom of the pouch (not sure why?) but in the end I got over that hurdle as well. 

So, the verdict:
  • a beautiful book and a really sweet pattern, even though it's tricky - maybe I just need more practice.  I look forward to trying more of her patterns.
  • I LOVE this way of installing a zipper
  • I omitted the little fabric loops on each end of the zipper, and now I wish I hadn't.  I can see their use now that it's finished.  Something to grab onto when opening/closing the zipper, of course!  Duh!  I omitted them because it involved turning a 1/2" wide fabric tube which I could not figure out how to do, and didn't have any ribbon suitable to use in its place, so I skipped that step.  Now I wish I'd been more patient.
  • Would I make it again??  Maybe.  I want to make more zip pouches but I think I need to practice on some designs that are a bit larger (and maybe with no hexagon shaped ends!) to get the hang of the process before attempting something small like this again.  
All said though, my Crayola marking pens now have a new home!

Tell me, if you've made zip pouches, what have been your favourite patterns/tutorials??? 




Fresh Poppy Design
Sew Sweetness

12 comments:

Chelsea said...

This is so cute Heather! Those ends really sound like a nightmare, though. I've made some really basic zip pouches, but I'll admit most of the ones I use are makeup gwp bags or ziplocks!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That is adorable!! Love the hexies and great colour zip :) Crayola pens are the best! I've used the noodlehead tutorial for my zip pouches, I have to admit though that zips and bags are not really my thing... I'll leave it to clever folk like you ;) x

Jenelle said...

I really have wanted to make this project, but I also wondered how easy it would be to sew the outer hexagons in place. The zipper panel is genius! I love how yours turned out and frankly it doesn't look like you had any issues at all. It's perfect! :)

Rosa said...

It`s cutest with that lovely hexies!!

Poppyprint said...

Oh, but you started with one of the most difficult zipper pouch designs ever! Amy (During Quiet Time) has a larger diameter hex pencil case pouch that has had good reviews from makers. I think yours looks lovely, but I can see how the ends must have been a major PITA to install!

CityHouseStudio said...

Totally adorable! But so tiny, yikes!
I learned to sew zippers with Noodlehead's tutorial. But I also have the During Quiet Time hexagon pouch pattern, but just haven't made it yet!

CitricSugar said...

It looks really good, Heather! Great job! Thanks for the review...

I have found KeykaLou's dumplings patterns to be great - there's a tute her blog. I'll look for the bookmark and email you the link. oneshabbychick has a good one for box bags, too.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Your pencil case looks gorgeous, I love the hexagons! I'm in love with zipper pouches! The tutorial I was using is from youtube and is very clear, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EICadoBCC1s

Katie B said...

Your zipper looks fantastic! Have you made any I'd the gathered clutches from Noodlehead? They're really fun.

Debbie said...

Really cute though sorry it gave you fits. Those hexie ends look scary! I need to look into the zip method though - it sounds interesting.
RE: patterns - I've basically used two: Elizabeth Hartman's (Oh Frannsson), but mostly this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Sand-Beach-Designs-Little/dp/B003ESZEOM

Kirsten said...

Such a cute pouch Heather - I am still too chicken to try zippers:)

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Oh I love the sound of a zipper panel! Gorgeous pencil case :o)