If you've been reading my blog this week, you already know that I've been doing some binding repair. I've been on a roll and have finished fixing 5 quilts in the past two days. I tackled my Sweetwater Pure quilt first, and ended up re-doing the entire hand-stitched portion of the binding, this time using hand-quilting thread, because the binding thread had broken in many places. The rest of the quilts I have inspected (so far!) were not nearly as bad with only a couple of places needing repair, so what I ended up doing was hand-stitching the spots that needed it and then machine stitched the binding as well. Three of these (pictured below) are bed quilts, which means they see a lot of use, so I figured the machine stitching can't hurt and honestly I don't mind how it looks in a coordinating thread colour.
The odd thing is that the dark blue quilt above is the first bed quilt I made, which means that it has been used the most, and it is the one that required zero repairs. But I was on a roll so I zipped around that one on the machine as well! There are at least 6 more quilts in the house that I can think of off the top of my head that I'm going to check as well, but at least I know now that the fix is relatively quick and easy. The Sweetwater Pure quilt (not pictured) is my 'control' in this experiment, as it's the one that I fully re-stitched with hand-quilting thread and did not machine stitch. We'll see!
Other than that, all I have in the works continues to be my Octagonal Orb quilt, using Joel Dewberry's Notting Hill line. I have finished piecing the wedges for all 12 blocks and am on hold as I wait for my order of Kona Natural to arrive. The two blocks I completed before I ran out of background fabric....
Tomorrow is my kids' last day of school before summer so I have a feeling that my sewing time is going to be decreasing a lot! Not that my kids demand my attention in the same way that they did when they were little, but more that it is summer and we will be doing other things, hopefully outside!