Friday, March 28, 2014

Butterfly Strands

My second ever Instagram post (if you follow me there) was of a table topper I had made for our TV/electronics cabinet near the time that I started quilting, and at that point I was thinking that something new was in order.  I actually do still like the old one (also one of my first blog posts, you can see it here) but I've come a ways in my skills and in what my current style preferences are, and I just wanted a change.  The top for this new one was made entirely out of scraps, colourful ones and neutrals as well.


For the blocks, I followed Faith's Butterfly Strands tutorial.  They were fast, easy, and used up loads of my scraps, in particular those skinny strips that aren't always useful in a lot of projects.


I really really liked using the variety of neutrals in this project, something I'm not sure I've ever done before, and taking the same idea into the borders and even the binding.  That cross-hatch piece of binding that you can see above is the only piece of neutral that isn't a solid, my attempt at adding an extra modern flair to the project.  ;)


For the quilting, I went with the same design I used on this recent large quilt finish, though on a much smaller and denser scale this time.  This design has quickly become a favourite of mine as it seems to suit so many different projects, in my opinion anyways!


I discovered that I had a nice piece of a blue tone-on-tone fabric leftover from some other quilt back (can't even remember which one!) that was just the right size, so I'm happy to say that I didn't buy a single supply for this project, it was all from scraps and other leftovers.  The best kind of project for me these days!

Quilt stats:

Finished size:  23" x 33"
Pattern: Butterfly Strands blocks, tutorial by Faith of Fresh Lemons
Fabric:  all manner of scraps and fabric leftovers!
Quilted by:  me, using Aurifil 50wt cotton thread #2026, in my variation of Crybaby Meander

17 comments:

Svetlana said...

beautiful topper Heather. And I just love your quilting, it looks amazing.

Debbie said...

Really pretty and I love the mix of neutrals - everywhere! Your quilting is downright impressive - very cool!

Carla said...

Superb quilting Heather! I saw you featured on FB

Susan said...

What beautiful texture you have created with the quilting Heather! A gorgeous finish!

DeborahGun said...

just love this. The quilting is amazing :-)

Alisa said...

It looks great, Heather!

Katherine said...

Lovely table topper, Heather! It's amazing what can be made from strings and I love those grey bits you added both in the top and in the binding - they really add interest.

Cathy said...

The quilting is so great!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

It's really beautiful Heather - I just can't get over that amazing texture!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Heather! I love your new small quilt! Beautiful colours with great white and the pattern is wonderful! x Teje

M-R Charbonneau said...

It's beautiful, Heather! Great colours and I love the neutral mix for the background.

Suzanne said...

Very nice! As always your quilting inspires me and encourages me that one day I'll be able to do this too!

My Strong Sisters said...

Beautiful work!

http://theshtickido.blogspot.com/

Renee said...

That is a great little table topper! Love the use of scraps and the quilting!

Kleep said...

Great work, and I know how satisfying it is to be able to make something from start to finish with what you've got!

mle said...

That is really lovely Heather! It seems to add a nice light and bright touch to your table there.

Erica said...

This looks so beautiful on that table! And i am seriously so in awe of your quilting skills, I am going to say that in every comment I make on your blog from now on :)