Monday, August 11, 2014

Noodlehead 241 Tote

This is a project that I have admired from afar on many blogs over the last few years and I finally decided to give it a try.  Asides from bee blocks, I haven't been quilting this summer.  My Farmer's Wife quilt is on hold until this fall, and honestly it's just too hot in the house to be thinking about wrangling anything too big and heavy through the sewing machine!  So anyways, a few bags have made their way through my machine this summer and this is the first one I have to show (the other one was finished first but still needs a bit of tweaking!).


I'll start off by saying that I am absolutely happy with the finished product.  I have nothing negative at all to say about the pattern, it is thorough and awesome and Anna's pattern support is great too!  However, I found almost everything about this bag to be a challenge for me.  I don't know if it was the curves or what, but something about it had me second guessing my sewing skills.  I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself since it turned out great, much to my relief.  Maybe I just need to make a few more to gain confidence!!  Top stitching around the gusset was the biggest challenge of all.  I got it done but it was a struggle every stitch of the way....it would be really awesome if someone who is experienced and comfortable with it would make a video or something....just sayin'!!  ;)  But onto some more of the positives and a few more pics...


I discovered a local shop where I can purchase Pellon ShapeFlex101 interfacing and it was a dream to work with!  I'd never used a woven interfacing before and it was fantastic.  A bit pricy, in my opinion, at $6.75/m, but worth it for projects like this for sure.  I interfaced all of the outer pieces (actually, that light coloured dot fabric really could have used two layers, but the single layer ended up being ok) except for the outer side pockets since I was using a denim.  Likewise for the strap, also in denim (by the way, the denim looks really wacky on my first photo, does anyone know why that happens sometimes??).


This was my first time using a magnetic snap and I love it.  The insertion was easy and straight forward and it works great.  Will definitely be using more in the future.  One thing I will say about the pattern is to be sure you test the strap length to see if it's to your liking.  The 26" suggested in the pattern is not nearly long enough to be a cross-body strap, which I am okay with since I don't tend to wear bags that way, but just so you're aware it is more of an over one shoulder type strap length.

Overall, a great pattern and a really fun & unique design, if you can get past a few challenges which thankfully I was able to do!

15 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Great job! I'm jealous that you've got a local sort for Shapeflex... I'm hooked on it but it's always mail-order when I run out of it. Once you use the good interfacing, you can't go back to the cheaper version. Sigh.

Cille said...

It does look daunting but the end result is definitely wort it. Is a really cool bag - love your fabric on the front and the little zipper too.

Susan said...

I think I have said it before Heather, but you are MUCH too hard on yourself! In all honesty I think all sewers struggle with some aspects of their sewing! It is all part of the learning process. Your bag looks fantastic- very professional and stylish! Use it with pride!

Kleep said...

I love this!! Your fabric choices were great--way to stretch yourself.

Erica said...

I love it! I kind of feel like sewing non-quilt items is like writing with my left hand - I know how to write but it's just a little awkward. SF101 is my favorite interfacing.

DeborahGun said...

it is fantastic Heather and looks really really professional :-)

Debbie said...

It looks terrific and chalk tho little struggles up as experience and I bet next time will be easier!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It looks fabulous! I admire people that make bags because I struggle with all those interfacing whatsits!! Good to hear about the magnetic clasp because I'm thinking of adding one to the laptop case I'm making.

Poppyprint said...

Great job on this!!! Sometimes with bags there just isn't an easy way and you've got to struggle it through the machine and go slowly. The topstitching looks perfect, so you managed it just fine!

Lorna McMahon said...

Dropping by from the Blogathon Canada 2014 blog hop..... So nice to meet you, Heather! Your bag is super sweet. Love the fabrics you chose. And that green topstitching is fabulous! Nice work!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your bag is fabulous, I love your fabric choices. Popping in from Blogathon Canada :)

Sandy said...

you may have struggled with it, but it looks fantastic!!! Great job!!

Katherine said...

Wow, Heather. I would never have guessed your struggles based on the finished look. A gorgeous 241 tote!

Can you believe it's already been a year ago since we met on Blogathon Canada? Eeep. Where does the time go?!? :o)

Janet said...

Great bag and I love how you used a variety of different fabrics together. It does look rather complex so don't feel bad if it felt that way making it.

Unknown said...

This bag looks wonderful. I think you can put lot of things into it, so it will be good when you're with kids. I started thinking of it since I found out I'm pregnant after reading this: http://rocketparents.com/pregnancy-symptoms-all-possible-%D1%81ases/. I'm currently on my 27th week, so I think it's already time to think about something like this bag.