Thursday, May 10, 2012

Swoon Ensemble ~ finally complete!

Remember Swoon?  I finished the quilt back in November, the cushions (these two, and this one) not long after, but I've never shared a picture of it all put together because I still wanted to replace our old pillow cases.  Well, I finally got it together, ordered some Hometown Preppy Plaid fabric from this etsy shop, and made us some new pillow cases.


I used this tutorial from Film in the Fridge to make the pillow cases.  They really were very easy, and finished nicely with French seams to hide all unfinished edges on the inside.


I will certainly use this pattern again (not that I have need to make pillow cases on a regular basis!) but when I do, the one thing I would change is that I would not leave the selvedge edges on.  She recommends leaving them on, just to add a bit more width, but I found, at least with this fabric, that the selvedges were really tight and uneven and I ended up pretty much trimming them off before the final assembly anyways.  Other than that, no complaints about the pattern!


It feels great to finally get this ensemble together.  I even went out and bought us some new pillows.  :)  {p.s. see the dark red pillow peeking out from behind?  We each use two pillows, and these red pillow cases were exactly the right colour so I bought the pair today, and they are the worst made pillow cases ever!  Unfinished edges on the inside, a very odd thread colour choice, and pretty weak seams.  Maybe the fact that they were $2.97 for the pair should have been a clue!  But the colour is perfect so I'll live with it for now}

Have any of you finished a languishing project lately?


25 comments:

Katie B said...

Wow!!!! This looks awesome, and your pillow cases look really professional. Great job!!

Alisa said...

Beautiful! You must love walking in your room and seeing it all!

Deborah said...

!!!!!!! This is one gorgeous Swoon quilt!!!! I can only hope mine will be half as beautiful!!!!!!

Jenelle said...

This looks great all put together! Thanks for linking the tutorial too. I have been wanting to make some pillowcases recently.

Toni said...

That ensemble is fabulous, Heather! How fun to sleep with so much handmade goodness! I really need to try that tutorial.

Patti said...

Looks like it is a very happy quilt on your bed! Beautiful!

Debbie said...

oh that looks great! LOVE your swoon on your bed. Nicely done - and thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Kimberly said...

Stunning! I'm swooning like mad! You must be so thrilled with this finish!

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous!! this may have just given me the push I need to get my swoon (1 and 2) completed!

Kirsten said...

So lovely Heather - I am thinking that I really need to get a move on with mys Swoon!

CityHouseStudio said...

It's just gorgeous, Heather!
It makes me want to finish my Swoon!
How wide did you make the sashing between the blocks? It looks just perfect on your bed! And I love the straight line quilting!

Susan said...

Swooning over your ensemble! Beautiful!

felicity said...

All I can say is WOW! What a gorgeous looking ensemble! Thanks for the tips...if I ever get the quilt for our bed made I hope I remember where to find pillowcase directions.

QuiltNut Creations said...

Heather it is beautiful! I so wish I had made my Swoon full size!

CJ said...

LOVE!!! Your Swoon is the one that inspired me to even THINK about making one for myself.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Um, Heather if my bed looked that good, I don't think I'd ever want to get out :o)
Looooove the straight line quilting on your swoon - when I finally make my other four blocks I think I'll have to copy you I'm afraid!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Oh Heather it is so perfect!!! The quilt and cushions look incredible and your bedroom is gorgeous :)

twelfthzodiac said...

Must be nice to walk in & see that site everyday!
I've used that tutorial before, I liked it too. Maybe someday I will get around to making a queen sized quilt to go with the pillowcases...haha...I maybe did it backwards? :P

Betty said...

That SWOON all over looks like a real heirloom quilt.
Well done!
I've (only) finished thinking of the right design for at packet of (12) fat 8ths: ruby bubbles.

Kristen said...

Perfect! I love the whole gorgeous set!

Emma said...

The whole ensemble is fabulous. If it were my room I'm not sure I'd ever get out of bed in the mornings.

Pippa Armbrester said...

This all looks so professional! Amazing!

Kleep said...

I've always loved this quilt!! It looks so amazing with everything put together. Great work on the pillow cases too!!!

Megan said...

Heather, you are my hero! Everything about this ensemble rocks! I hope y'all enjoy many sweet dreams under this bedset.

Katie said...

Gorgeous! I'd be so embarassed to show my bed. It's awful! I really need to make myself a quilt and matching pillow cases. I'm inspired!