Tuesday, August 21, 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I missed last week, but am back now and have actually sewn a little bit!  I'm participating in the Proverbial Quiltalong with Poppyprint using Denyse Schmidt's pattern, as I mentioned earlier this week, and I finally decided to go really simple and make a baby quilt that says "Sleep", as shown in the pattern booklet.  I also decided to use scraps, making each letter out of a variety of prints from one colour family.  This was my first time paper piecing with freezer paper, and it took some doing, but between yesterday and today I have all 5 letters finished.


I used Sally's Skirt from Hometown Reunion for the letter backgrounds, and am "auditioning" Kona Coal as the spacers between each letter and an upper and lower border.  What do you think?  Does it work?


That's all the sewing I've done, but I've also cut all of the print squares for a Sparkle Punch quilt, using the Kate Spain "Joy" FQ bundle that I won.  It was a LOT of cutting!  Over 400, 3.5" squares so far and I haven't even gotten to the background fabric yet.  I'm still debating on that one, thanks again for all the input on my last post.  I think at this point I'm leaning towards Kona Ash, but I do tend to be indecisive so my mind could change 15 times before I actually order fabric for it!


So those are the two major things I have on the go at the moment, and asides from those I have a few bee blocks to make and I still need to come up with something for a name tag for our MQG meeting on September 5.  Otherwise we're just enjoying the last few weeks of summer.  The weather has cooled down and today I'm wearing a sweater and slippers!

Have a good week everyone.


20 comments:

Anne said...

I really like that you used different fabrics in your letters, they look great! I wonder if a lighter grey for the spacers would make the letters pop more, though. Or even more of the sally's skirt fabric? Beautiful work!

Live a Colorful Life said...

"Sleep" is awesome! Love your fabric choices too.

Melissa said...

Love the letter blocks! I'm working on a couple of words myself, and didn't think to use the DS pattern! I'm just wingin' it. :) I think the Coal is a perfect spacer - it allows you to see each letter clearly.
Great job!

Debbie said...

Your letters look great & yes the coal works! That IS alot of JOY cutting - yikes!

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

I love your letters SO much! My kids need a quilt that tells them to sleep.
The different fabrics you used are so pretty. I would love to see it with a lighter color behind it, like a light grey. I think the charcoal is making the white around the letters stand out more than the colors in the letters.

Kristy QP said...

Loving the "Sleep" blocks so far! Great colours and really cute idea for a baby quilt.

Nina Marie said...

Its been great watching everyone's Proverbial quiltalongs! I love how cheery the colors you chose for sleep is!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Love your scrappy letters - they work perfectly! Love your background choice - I think coal will work really well, especially with the contrast with the sally's skirt.

The Thompsons said...

I love the Sleep - it's adorable!

Kate said...

Love the sleep blocks! I need to hang a set of those above my son's bed. ;) I like Coal as the border - really makes them pop.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Adorable Sleep blocks!! The Coal looks great - really sets the colours off!

Patti said...

The reunion colours look so good with the Coal! This seems to be a fun QAL with Krista and your baby quilt is going to be wonderful.

Holly said...

Sleep is a perfect sentiment for a baby quilt! Can you just imagine a photo of a sweet little one sleeping under your quilt? Great job on all the cutting for the sparkle punch quilt. It'll be worth it in the end!

Heidi Grohs said...

Sleep is perfect!!! I really love the scrappy letters. I am on the fence with the coal since the letters have the white....but I am mess about that kind of thing so don't listen to me ;D!

Rebecca said...

Love those letters and the Coal looks great. Thanks for Linking up with WIP Wednesday's.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

looking great!!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I was just looking at my Kona card and have you looked at #408 Iron? It's a little darker than Ash but lighter than coal.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Love the sleep! The coal looks awesome and like the idea of ash for the other :)

Kirsten said...

The letters look lovely with the coal - and your Sparkle Punch quilt will be so beautiful in the Joy fabrics!

Alison V. said...

I love that "Joy" line so much! thanks for sharing!