Friday, August 9, 2013

Octagonal Orb ~ top complete!

I sewed and cut and trimmed like crazy this week and am excited to finally have a finished top!  


The photo obviously doesn't show the whole thing but it gives you an idea.  I did a 3 x 4 block layout with 2.5" (2" finished) sashing and a 3.5" border.  It'll finish at a nice size of approximately 60" x 75".  I have quite a bit of Notting Hill leftover which I will incorporate into the back, which still needs to be pieced (and pieced backs are definitely not my forte!), so it will for sure be September before I get going on quilting.

And while I'm here, I'll show these two bee blocks that I made this week.  Kona Iron background and yellow/turquoise 'blades' with fabric from my scraps.  Super easy to make, the tutorial can be found here.


 

23 comments:

Patti said...

Woo hoo! It looks incredible, Heather! It kinda reminds me of yummy tasty lifesavers! Great blocks too; thanks for the tutorial link.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Absolutely gorgeous Heather! It reminds me of candy, too.

Alisa said...

I love it! Your hard work is being rewarded! This is going to be one gorgeous quilt.

Svetlana said...

wow, your quilt looks amazing.

What Comes Next? said...

love that quilt!

Cathy said...

It looks awesome!

Holly said...

Woo hoo! You did it!

Erica said...

So gorgeous. That Notting Hill quilt is stunning, and I love those blocks. Those are some of my favorite colors.

Debbie said...

Oh your orb is beautiful!! I love it!

felicity said...

Can't wait to see that Orb all quilted up! Gorgeous!

Kleep said...

Wow, Beautiful!!!!

Susan said...

You have done a grand job with this Heather! Love it!

Kirsten said...

These are such beautiful blocks Heather!

DeborahGun said...

so much work but it is beautiful :-)

Toni said...

So beautiful!! I admit that I'm not a big fan of piecing backs, either. They always seem to look better when other people do it! Any idea how you'll quit it? Your bee blocks look fun, too!

Carla said...

Your quilt is amazing! One of the nicest I've seen from that block : )

nicole said...

This is such an awesome top, fantastic work!
And thanks for the link to the tutorial, your blocks look great!

LimeRiot said...

Holy WOW!! That is so beautiful!!

Kelsey said...

Yay the top is finished! You must feel great about finish that one up! Looks fantastic, can't wait to see the whole thing (p.s. I hate piecing backs too!)

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

It looks great, Heather!

Sharon said...

Wow! That orb quilt is great! The Notting hill fabrics are perfect for the two color look

Katie said...

Beautiful job Heather, the colours are gorgeous!

CitricSugar said...

That orb is so gorgeous! Reminds me of candy. :-)

Loving those blades...