Tuesday, February 21, 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Hmmm, I just looked back at last Wednesday's post and there is not much new around here since then! I made 2 blocks just for fun, a drunkard's path - which I made into a mini, FMQ and bound - and also a modernized pinwheel block.


Sewing machine cover - the extra fabric I needed to complete the sashing and borders on this arrived today so I am back in business on at least one project! I am following the general idea of Svetlana's tutorial, and using the instructions from this baby lattice quilt for how to do the whole "on point" thing, which is new to me. Also I was made aware of this resource page from Lauren & Jessi which helps you calculate corner and side setting triangles, among other things, which is coming in very handy for this project! Aaaaand, some extra clarification from Tracey in this great post....yes, this one's been a learning process! It still needs the long sashing pieces between each row, and of course assembly.


Other than that, I'm mostly just waiting on a Connecting Threads order with a bunch of batting and thread. I have 2 large-ish quilts (Chrysalis and Sparkle) and 1 small-ish quilt (Modern Quarters Baby Quilt) in the queue for quilting and am itching to get started. Today I prepared the backing for the Chrysalis quilt, see lower left photo in collage below. I had the orange/cream print, but also had a few blocks leftover from the quilt top so decided to incorporate them into the back. It's nothing too special, but I'm glad to use up the leftovers.

And finally, two other things to note. First, I found a hera marker yesterday! Excited to try that out. Thanks again to everyone who offered to send me one - turns out, it was right under my nose...well, actually, around the corner. :)


And lastly, Jenelle @ Echinops and Aster posted a tutorial this week for an easy way to make EIGHT half square triangles at once. Yes, eight! I have not tried this method out yet, but it makes perfect sense and she has very clear instructions and photos to help. I intend to try it next time I'm in need of HSTs.

16 comments:

Jenelle said...

Aww Heather! Thanks for mentioning my tutorial. :) I can't wait to see your finished Sparkle and Chrysalis quilts! You sure have some beautiful projects in the works. :)

Debbie said...

what great links you shared - need to go back & look at them more - thanks! Love your quilt back - that's gonna be great! And so glad you found a hera!

Megan said...

Hi from New Zealand! I really love that grey/coloured quilt you are working on, its looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it finished.

Erika :: Ollie & Olina said...

Your on point quilt looks great! I'm actually working on a diamond quilt on point and it's just plain hard! But, a great challenge.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I love your lattice quilt, beautiful!!
I've still not tried a hera marker, I'd love someone to send me one!!

I've given you the Liebster blog award :)

The Thompsons said...

That modernized pinwheel block is beautiful! You have a lot of wonderful projects going!

Svetlana said...

OOOOh, I love your sewing machine cover. You chose such pretty colors. Really lovely.

Teresa F. said...

So many beautiful projects. Love your lattice quilt.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

love your modern pinwheels! The backing for the Chrysalis quilt is awesome too. I really love the colors in both of the quilts (Chrysalis and Sparkle. I'd love to hear what you think about the hera marker. I have never used one!

Rebecca said...

Lots of great projects! LOVE your fabric choices!

twelfthzodiac said...

I love that pinwheels block! I have the tutorial saved somewhere over here too...this is a good reminder that I still love it & it should be made!
Waiting for mail...me too. It blows! :P

Chelsea said...

I love that pinwheel block!

Have you used the connecting threads thread before? I'm kind of tempted to order some. I just missed the batting sale, unfortunately :(

Izzy said...

Wow - all your projects are fabulous. I really like the on point quilt.

CityHouseStudio said...

Thanks for all of the great links, Heather.
I just love your modernized pinwheel block, so cool! And I can't wait to see your Chrysalis all quilted!

Katie B said...

You've made great progress! I need to make a major batting run too. I have a few quilt tops that need some attention!

Deborah said...

Hi! I found your over at Charm About You. I Love your work! Beautiful colors!